19 March 2008

"Black Book" and other good Movies


This movie is...awesome.
Over the course of the movie the characters speak 4 languages: Hebrew, Dutch, German and English. It takes place mostly during World War II. The main character is a Jewish women hiding from the Nazis in the Netherlands.
She is really pretty, like really pretty. In one scene she assists the resistance while wearing a long, flowy red dress.

There is a bunch of nudity in it (all the girls are actually pretty, but all the men are old and the only one we see...too much of...is a murderer and fat). But whole story is extraordinary, so we should all watch it. The action and story are so magnificent, one does not even recall if he or she is reading subtitles. Totally rad.


Next I am planning on watching another foreign film called "The Lives of Others." It is about post WWII East Germany (DDR). This one is in German, and according to my dad, the story is really good. According to Wikipedia, it got an Academy Award for best foreign film in '07. The story is about the Stasi and their spying/interrogation/etc methods. Sounds really interesting. It is another movie we need to see.


Last, I now own Enchanted, home of the new Disney princess Jazell (sp?). It is so funny to watch. The beginning of the movie I was convinced it was a parody film of Disney princess movies, but no! it is a real Disney movie. I love it so, so much. Also, it carries a good message: Don't marry the first guy/girl you fall in love with. Get to know them first.
Basically, the point of the film is to counteract the morals and ideas of love taught to girls by previous Disney films. Oh, speaking of, did you know you can read Hans Christian Anderson's original story The Mermaid on Google? I heard it is much more gruesome than the Disney version, I cannot wait to find out. The original Grimm's version of Cinderella is definitely better, so I am expecting this to be too.

5 comments:

Peter said...

I remember you telling me about this.

Just the other day i helped thousands of jews escape in my latest red valentino...with oprah...

WE SHOULD! I WANT TO SEE ENCHANTED!

Theresa said...

Did you have a dream you were helping Jews with Oprah? 'cause that would be really random

Amy Hemmeter said...

I love how you're like "I don't want to see him naked because he's a murderer... and also fat."

Elyse said...

jeez, so much WWII. what a downer.

i really do wanna see Enchanted, tho. It looks really good

We have the complete Grimms. It's really thick. I don't remember reading very many of them, tho, prolly cuz they were sad.

Peter said...

Actually theresa, that was a quote i said to you in the hallway when you were telling me about this, hence the reason it came right after i said "i remember you telling me about this." Because you told me she wore a red dress and helped jews escape and I got a funny visual of her leading thousands of jews wearing a Red dress.